24 Dec #2 of podcast: why Hasidim don’t do lockdown or masks
In this episode I ask why Hasidim don’t lock down. The answer is largely: they have too much community and too little technology to make it happen.
- #LINK: Data on NYC positive cases from New York Times data section
- #HASIDIC: My video post during the holiday season, in which I show more data.
- #BOOK: Frank Furedi’s book ‘The Culture of Fear’ of safetyism
- #LINK: The Leiby Kletzky tragedy
- #WIKI: Third places, (sorry I called it spaces instead of places!) the sociological concept that describes communal spaces that are neither first places (home) or second places (work) but are third places, communal.
- #BOOK: Jane Jacob’s idea of community, the humanistic vision contrasting the sterile “safe” technic city is very valuable here. I also quoted from her book ‘The Life and Death of Great American Cities’.