January 27, 2021 #7 of podcast: Conformity to Individuality
The Very Not Normal Podcast; Episode #7: Conforming to Individuality
Why do people stay in repressive societies? Are they too dumb to know better?
Would you ever be sucked in by one?
Send a voice message @ https://anchor.fm/frieda-vizel/message
- #VIDEO: The Compliance Test:
- #ARTICLE: Paul Graham’s 4 quadrants of conformism.
- #ARTICLE: The pressures on those more deeply embedded in a system to conform to specific biases. In this example the WHO explained why experts might exaggerate threats of a pandemic: “In the highly competitive market of health governance, the struggle for attention, budgets and grants is fierce.” This creates an incentive for experts to conform to this narrative.
- #BOOK: Vassily Grossman, Russian dissident, quote:
- “[A]n invisible force was crushing him. He could feel its weight, its hypnotic power; it was forcing him to think as it wanted, to write as it dictated. This force was inside him; it could dissolve his will and cause his heart to stop beating . . . Only people who have never felt such a force themselves can be surprised that others submit to it. Those who have felt it, on the other hand, feel astonished that a man can rebel against it even for a moment – with one sudden word of anger, one timid gesture of protest.”